Wednesday 14 May 2008

Mike Kane & H.E.R...

Well, first and foremost, I love H.E.R. Looking back it makes me laugh when I think about when I first fell in love with H.E.R because it was my Mum who put me on H.E.R. We'd be driving around whilst she had ''The Score'' by Fugees blaring. Sometimes I feel guilty because there are other genres that I mess around with (Grime, Rock, Dancehall & Reggae etc) and I got a lil' thing on the side that I still fucks with and which I been seeing since I was a young 'un (R'n'B & Soul). I think I was only 6 years old when I picked up that Bobby Brown album and my Mum would come into the living room with me dancing like a mad man to ''Two Can Play That Game''...lol...

Damn near 14 years later, I'm still bumping that same record (minus the crazy gyrating) and damn near 14 years later, I find myself stuck between 2 places; The Old Skool and The New Skool...

I just wanna find that balance. Imma 80's baby (technically), Imma 90's toddler (raised in the New Jack era) but now I'm in the infancy of adulthood in the new millenia. I feel music from all 3 era's so it's kinda hard to identify with anyone period, ya feel me?

For anyone who knows me personally, they'll have some sort of idea of where I wanna go with my life. They'll know that people such as Berry Gordy, Russell Simmons, Will Smith, Oprah, Fab 5 Freddy, Michael Jordan are some of the major role models in my life (ignore what I say on my MySpace page, lol) and that I wanna contribute to the progression of Black Music and H.E.R progression as musical artform and more importantly as a CULTURE, whether it be through the music, the clothing, the visuals, the graffiti, the whatever! Don't get it twisted, I wanna get paid whilst doing it (my aforementioned role models are all millionaires if ya didn't notice, lol) but like I mentioned before, I wanna find that balance.Mike

No comments: