Friday 21 March 2008

LeBron James: Vogue Magazine's Mandingo Of The Year...




On the real? WHAT THE MUCK!
I mean surely, when they were going over the shots, they didn't see anything that was a lil' off with this cover? I mean, even myself included, I had to kinda let this register for a hot minute before I said [Dave Chappelle]''Goddamn, that was raci-that was racist!''[Dave Chappelle]

Some may say people are making a fuss for nada but c'mon buddy, c'mon buddy! These aren't just people who just pick a camera, start saying shit like ''Work it for me baby, you're a blindin' star!'' These are professional photographers who have been taught about the power of imagery and the type of connotations it comes with.


Now, we could be doing more reaching than Yao Ming's mother tryna spank him when he accidentally walked into the living room chandelier (again!), but it's Deuce Double O Eight already. What makes it even worse, is that there were more tasteful pictures that could've been used. Now, I think this whole issue 1st came up at the beginning of the week so I'm not gonna focus on THIS too much however, I'd like to use it as a platform to discuss something of even more concern & that would be mainstream society's continued mis-representation of young Black men.


I feel a certain unease whenever I'm speaking to women outside of other races and that's not even when I'm tryna holla at them. Even when I'm tryna get directions, making simple enquiries and shit like that, there's just this vibe that goes on that I ain't too happy about. It's as if some may think I'm only there to blow their back (or lack of, iJoke iJoke, iKid, iKid) out. And it's not even just the whole sexual predator thing. I mean, not taking anything away from King James, but I think he's only the 2nd or 3rd African-American man who's appeared on the cover but I ask the editor, did it HAVE to be an athlete?


Mehhh, I've been a lil' lethargic whilst typing this particular post and in the short space between me writing that last paragraph, and me going to the kitchen to make me a lil' suhen to eat, I've realised maybe I shouldn't give it too mind. I mean, what would you say Vogue's core target audience is? White women & gay men. Hmmm, well I don't care much for what gay dudes think of me but I have been tryna holla at Beth for a hot minute now...



Oh shit, I type that out loud? Looool...










4 comments:

Mr Q said...

Another interesting blog Mr Kane, its true these photographers obviously have some concept in mind when shooting these pictures. And how they have depicted King Lebron as King Kong, white woman in hand, may purely be something innocent.... but i doubt it.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I don't really think that shot was purely down to the photographer - there were probably hundreds of different poses to choose from. It's just a bit concerning that that was the photo Vogue decided to run.. plus the fact that there must not be many/any black people on their editorial team to point out that the picture may cause offence.

ChanLa said...

Grrr.....this makes me cringe every time I see it! It's like they do this on purpose. Look back to when Jennifer Hudson was the cover model. They had her with her mouth open, looking a little bit untamed. Why can't they capture these young successful Black people looking poised or sophisticated??? I agree with Rebecca, there needs to be more Black people on board at Vogue.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.